Saturday, July 10, 2010

03/07/2010 End of Taupo+Fencing?

03/07/2010 End of Taupo+Fencing?
Went Bungeeing. Started off thinking that it didn’t look too bad, then I shuffled to the platform with this brace around my ankles. And looked all the way down. So that made me reconsider things a bit. Then I took a few deep breaths and followed the instructions of the assistant to look straight ahead. Then it was 3 2 1 bungee and leaned forward off the platform. Very scary for the first 5 seconds and then absolutely thrilling! Very strange. The lady was ready to push me off too, when I looked at some movies of the day’s jumps, she had pushed a Saudi girl off right before me, and had her hand on my back. Anyways, I came out at the end with a giant grin on my face wanting to do it again. Fortunately for my wallet and blood pressure, I had to walk back up the cliff and by then I had regained my senses I wasn’t so sure I wanted to do it again. Anyways, had to do it because I was in NZ.

Then it was time to get onto the bus to Wellington. We were late so there was no time to stop for a long dinner, so I grabbed a sausage roll some french fries, and apple and carrot cake with about 1 inch of icing from the truck stop and then we were off into the night watching Indiana Jones on the over head. When I finally got to Wellington I was picked up by Vicki, a fencing mom. She took me to a down town pub where the Victoria university fencing club was celebrating its 100th anniversary. Not really a continuous strip of time she told me, but apparently there was a bit of a pissing match between the local clubs about which was the longest and someone found a record of the club having a group of Female epeeists back in 1910. There I had some Kumera chips to top off the evening since everyone else was pretty much at the dessert stage. I was invited to partake in an open foil tournament (the epee tourney was this day) so I said sure why not, if you have the gear. It turns out that the son of the Fencing mom is a lefty epeeist, so I was able to use his old stuff (he was entering for fun too).

No comments:

Post a Comment