Saturday, July 10, 2010

04/07/2010 Fencing tournament.

04/07/2010 Fencing tournament.

So I got the gear together and then fenced foil. That was entertaining. There were only 10 people in the tourney, so they prolonged the tourney with two rounds of pools which was nice because I ended up being able to fencing with almost everyone before getting to the DEs. That was fun, I ended up coming into the DEs 4th with 3 losses out of 8 boughts. Then it was into the breach, I got a buy to the round of 8. First up was a saberist, so clearly foilists were not particularly well represented. I took him down fairly easily, like all saberists he was parrying quite wide. Then it was on to a proper foist. He was much more of a challenge. He was actually up 14 to 10 thought good foil technique and knife fighting. Some how I was able to get him on a few knife fights as he tried to rush the end, and close the gap with some fleshes to 14 all. And then win it.

In the final I was fencing William, the lefty (epeeist) owner of my pants, blade, wire and jacket. (Mask was borrowed from the club.) So that was interesting, I was really starting to warm up and do well, then I beat William 15 10 I think. So that was a bit embarrassing because some crazy canuck won an historic tournament. But I got 35 NZ$ prize money too! Later on it seemed that NZ just doesn’t flesh as a whole because people were complimenting me on them when, while they were good for me, were certainly not as good as Matti’s or many other Vancouverites.

The rest of the day the folks drove me around Wellington stopping off at the various view points that are common tourists traps. I didn’t really expect that, but it was kind of them to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment